The Scott and Kim Verplank Foundation provides annually, renewable college scholarships to undergraduate students of up to $10,000 to be used toward tuition, student fees, and books. Scholarships are renewable for up to a maximum of four years for any one recipient based on completing the renewal requirements. Recipients are selected from a pool of applicants meeting the following criteria.
- High School Senior
- Childhood diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes
- Successfully managing diabetes with proper medication, exercise and diet
- Commitment to education by maintaining in excess of a 3.0 grade point average
- Commitment to participating in athletics by actively participating on an organized team
- United States Citizen
- Completion of application with supporting documentation and endorsements
- Applications are accepted beginning January 1 of a student’s Senior year in high school.
- Awardees must maintain a 3.0 grade point average until graduation.
- To be considered for funding to begin in the fall of 2018, applications must be received by the Foundation by April 15, 2018. Applications received after April 15 will not be considered.
Timeline and Process
- Once an application is considered Technically Complete (Completion and Submission of application and medical endorsement by April 15 at 11:59 pm) each applicant will receive an email confirming receipt.
- An Applicant Portfolio with application and endorsements will be prepared and reviewed by the Foundation Office for consideration of the Verplank Scholarship.
- Portfolio reviews begin in March for current seniors.
- Additional information may be requested from applicants during the review process including but not limited to completion of Supplemental Survey and Budget.
- The Foundation Board of Directors will announce their selections in mid-June 2018. All applicants will receive an email regarding their status.
- Upon selection and notification of award in June, Verplank Scholars will receive information about Award Activation and Renewal Requirements